Saturday, October 11, 2008

Happy Birthday to a Master Gardener

In my later teen years and into my early twenties, I think my mom may have worried that she hadn't successfully imparted some important domestic skills to me~I couldn't really cook anything and I didn't show any interest in puttering in the garden. If she did worry, she needn't have: the love of a good man kindled interest in all things domestic and the latent lessons of creating a beautiful home and garden which I passively learned growing up as my mother's daughter sprung to life.

This summer the entire family enjoyed the fruit (and flower) of my mom's love of gardening, enjoying barbecues in the back yard, sitting on the front deck in the evening, and eating yummy salads made from the bounty of her tidy kitchen garden.

This oh-so-neat vegetable garden brought the neighborhood association out for a visit as the sub-division covenant specified that no vegetable gardens could be grown in the front yard. Well, this garden was kind of, sort of in the side yard and it had nasturtiums, zinnias, marigolds...

...and some exquisitely beautiful squash blossoms growing in it, so in the end, the neighborhood association let it remain.

Mom has somehow convinced her hydrangeas that they are really growing in Portland, Oregon and not Boise, Idaho.



Living is not enough...one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower

~Hans Christen Andersen


Happy Birthday Mom! Hope the weather is nice enough for you to enjoy tottering in your garden at least a little bit.

4 comments:

Pictoria said...

Happy Birthday Marcia, and don't let the icy winter weather daunt the gardening efforts!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Marcia, Val reminded me of this site. Your daughter wonderfully honored you! Your flowers are beautiful.

Unknown said...

Your mom is amazing, Melissa.

Beautiful garden. Beautiful tribute to your mom.

Diane

Unknown said...

WHY does my comment say, Rex, Melissa? My children are taking over my computer (-:

Diane