Friday, February 17, 2012

Sending Wooly Love

I wanted to sendd my love on Valentine's Day and with no opportunity to purchase a card in Mafraq, Jordan, making a card was my only option. Uninspired to create something from paper and about to give up the whole idea of a card, I thought of making something like a card from felted wool. I certainly had plenty of wool scraps to choose from--it would be so easy! And so it was.

A New Kind of Card with felted wool

I cut out the hearts freehand with my pinking shears. The stitching, with three strands of pink DMC embroidery floss, took a little longer than it should have because my hand is so unpracticed. And, my eyes are a lot worse than they were in my former embroidery days. I decided not to fuss much (working with felted wool is helping me with that) and did the letters freehand as well. All this took about an hour.

I think I've found my medium.

Edit: Oldest Daughter, the recipient of these hearts told me she's going to try to fasten them to the inside of her violin case as she heads out on grad school auditions. Now, she's never done that with a paper greeting card I've given her.

2 comments:

Resweater said...

I love this! What a great idea!

MagistraCarminum said...

I'm stealing this idea, D. V., for next year for the granddaughters! Lovely! (And thank you for the lovely card i received last week, too! I can't write back since its return address was ID!)