Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Comforts of the Cross



I purchased Comforts of the Cross, by Elyse Fitzpatrick, as I am in the habit of reading some small section devotional writing or biblical instruction along with my daily Bible reading. I was looking for a new book to put in the queue, this book was offered as a Kindle Special, and I knew from reading another of Fitzpatrick's books some years ago that her emphasis on the good news of Jesus' incarnation, crucifixion, resurrection, and ascension would be just right. And so it was and always is.

I find myself lingering at a major cross-road in my life, that of having my main life work of marrying, establishing a home, and raising a family behind me. Thankfully my marriage and family are still very much with me, but coming to a close is the period of my life marked with intense efforts at becoming one and then, a family of six. These days I find myself looking backward and forward all at once. What have I done? What will I do?

The thirty short chapters, a month of devotional reading, in Comforts of the Cross have been a balm for my soul as I am reminded that I must first and foremost ask and answer the questions: What has Jesus done? What will Jesus do? How often do I need to to receive God's truth in love to re-orient my heart? Many times a day! Like the author, I find that my heart is "so bent towards self-righteousness, pride, laziness, and despair", and so I am thankful for any and all reminders of Jesus: what He has done, what He is doing, and what He will do.

I will read this book again--in fact, I've already re-read some of my favorite chapters.

2 comments:

Holly Newman said...

Yes, my heart also is "so bent towards self-righteousness, pride, laziness, and despair." This is why we need to abide each day. Thanks for the encouragement! You are at a beautiful crossroads.

Quotidian Life said...

Thank you for your encouragement, Holly. I am taking your "beautiful crossroads" phrase as prophetic :)