Sunday, January 14, 2018

Fare Forward

I've taken hiatuses from my blog before, but I'm pretty sure that eight months is the longest it's lain silent. A friend asked me if she should hope for any future posts and I told her that I just wasn't sure. Life these past few years or so had been one transition piled on top of another and I just didn't seem to have the same inspiration. Perhaps my children were my muses? And still in the midst of processing life transitions: moving to another city, launching four children from our Jordan nest to independent lives in the States in four different states, graduations, marriages, an engagement of our youngest daughter (who while we concur is ready for marriage to her loving fiancee, is still young), sorting out health issues, etc. , we found ourselves facing an abrupt transition out of Jordan.

We had sensed this transition coming, but due to visa difficulites, it came more quickly than we expected. And just like that, our life in Jordan, at least the the physical place of Jordan, was finished.

We've called Idaho home-base these last six months, but we've also traveled several times to visit family, and once to explore another overseas living opportunity. We've been so very blessed by the love, support, and encouragment of family and friends as we've journeyed through this transition.

A funny thing about transitions is that one can not be sure when they are finished.

"Fare forward, travellers! Not escaping from the past
Into indifferent lives, or into any future;
You are not the same people who left that station
Or who will arrive at any terminus,
While narrowing rails slide together behind you;
And on the deck of the drumming liner
Watching the furrow that widens behind you,
You shall not think 'the past is finished'
Or 'the future is before us'.
~from the Dry Salvages, Four Quartets, T.S. Elliot

A week spent with all our children, and one night in particular, brought great healing and resolution to our six months of wandering, searching for home. On New Year's Eve, our children prepared our favorite Jordanian meal, ma'loubi, or "upsided down".



As we shared food around the table, we shared memories of our years together in Jordan. Active Son honored us for the lives we had lived in Jordan and blessed us in our future endeavors:

"Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to  the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever." Amen. Ephesians 3:20,21

After dinner, Active Son put up my blog on the big screen TV and we scrolled through all those memories of life together in Jordan together. My blog! Who could have known how God would use it my life? What a balm that time of remembering was to my soul!

And now I am ready to say,
 "Not fare well,
But fare forward voyagers."


I even felt a surge of motivation to keep writing and blogging, but it is hard to say if this will last. Meanwhile, Dear Husband and I are preparing to depart for another land, and it too will have wildflowers and other treasures to discover. We are anticipating another couple months of transition/living out of a suitcase, but maybe I will be back. I hope so.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Melissa, I loved this last post - it was encouraging to hear how God is at work in your lives and what the future may hold. Ever since I met you first at the AIC women's retreat in Ajloun in 1997 (with infant Kristen), I have considered you to be a wise slightly older sister I can look up to and be encouraged by. I do hope you continue to write as the Spirit moves you. I'd love to be added to your email update list so I can pray more specifically for you.

Quotidian Life said...

Thanks for your encouraging words,Angie. I too remember our first meeting--you were embracing your a new life, culture, and language with such vigor! I will pass long your email to Tom, the keeper of the list :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Melissa, I have so missed your blogs!!I do hope you are happy and content where you are now and will be in the near future! I hope you will blog about your new country and flower life there! Congratulations to your engagement of your daughter!!/With love S Susan

Di said...

Thank you for this post, Melissa. It ministers to my soul! Which might be surprising, as we have lived in our little hilltop house for twenty-one years and John has been in Room 6 at the middle school for THIRTY years. But we often feel like we are transitioning...maybe it is these years for our children? Or maybe just the norm for those who are growing in Christ.

I hope you blog again. You have a gift, my friend.

Diane

Quotidian Life said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Quotidian Life said...

Dear Diane, my original blog mentor! Thanks for you encouraging words, and yes, I think your right about these transitional phases of life being the norm for those waking and growing in Christ. He is so faithful to disciple us to the end!

MagistraCarminum said...

Loved this update, friend, and will continue to lift you all, far and near, in prayer on your journeys. Remember we are in Northern NM if you find yourself passing through and need a tea break or a bed and breakfast!

Quotidian Life said...

Thank you, Susan. You are a faithful and encouraging reader!

Quotidian Life said...

Thank you for your prayers and encouragement, Chris. I world love to visit you in NM someday and I never forget that you are there with a welcoming invitation.

Anonymous said...

Dear Melissa, I hope all is well with you and your family! Here in Stockholm all is fine and we have incredibly nice weather!! Very warm weather and lots of sunshine!! We sure have been waiting a long time!! I have no idea if you still are in US or have moved to another country. I check your blog several times every week!! I so miss your blogging.Is has always been a joy to read your texts!! I hope you write something soon! /S Susan

Diana said...

Hi Melissa, I just remembered your blog about your life in Jordan and thought I'd check it out (I'm the Jordanian girl from Madaba). I hope that all is well with you and your family, good luck with your travels!

Anonymous said...

Dear Melissa, I hope all is well! Your blog has been so silent for a long time and it would be so nice to read/hear that all is ok!!/ With love, S Susan

CloudCanyon said...

very interesting post. keep it up sharing good content with people domain name search | domain name registration | domain name generator | bulk domain registration | sunrise domain registration | premium domain names for sale | bulk domain transfer | reverse whois

online-shopping-jordan said...

Are you looking the best gift for best friend in Jordan, Ehadeya is a good web portal which provides lots of gifts choice where can select the favorite products according to your budget.