Thursday, February 26, 2015

Felted Wool for the Artist

When Artist Son arrived for his between-semesters-visit and unpacked his art supplies, I discovered that he was carrying everything in thin plastic baggies. Nothing was damaged, but shouldn't he have something more protective and "nice" for his gear, and couldn't I make something out of felted wool?? I went directly to Pinterest where I found this idea. I adjusted the measurements a little: 7 1/2 inches by 10 1/2 inches to hold 10 pencils and 7 1/2 inches by 21 inches to hold 20 pencils, with 1/2 inch between 1/2 inch slits.


I improvised the paint brush holders. The v-neck ribbing of a finely felted sweater worked to secure the flap. Pastels and charcoals were stored in some saved Altoids tins. (Those little things are handy! I'm tempted to buy them just for the tins.)


Artist son made a few tired fruits and an an onion look pretty good in this still life exercise.


3 comments:

Di said...

You are so inspiring, Melissa. What did we ever do before Pinterest???

Andrew's painting is gorgeous!

Diane

Unknown said...

Andrew is a gifted artist. My mom still has a painted rock of his on display - a cute lizard I gave her for a Christmas present

Quotidian Life said...

Thanks, Diane and Angie.

Diane, Pinterest--so true!

Angie, I love Andrew's rocks--art that you can hold in your hand. There is something special about that. We've got about 10 scattered around our house. He hasn't painted any rocks for a few years so maybe the'll be a collector's item someday :)